Category: Spiritual life – Musings
I recently read “The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren and found it really enlightening and encouraging. Check out my video below for my thoughts and full review.
Notable quotes from the book:
- “God doesn’t waste abilities; he matches our calling with our capabilities.”
- “It is only when we become open about our lives that we experience real fellowship.”
- “Being authentic requires both courage and humility. It means facing our fear of exposure, rejection, and being hurt again. Why would anyone take such a risk? Because it is the only way to grow spiritually and be emotionally healthy.”
- “Nothing shapes your life more than the commitments you choose to make. Your commitments can develop you or they can destroy you, but either way, they will define you.” –> See relevant blog post here
- “Every problem is a character building opportunity, and the more difficult it is, the greater the potential for building spiritual muscle and moral fiber.” –> See relevant blog post on “GRIT” here.
- “Your circumstances are temporary but your character will last forever.“
- “The secret of endurance is to know that the pain will be temporary but your reward is eternal.”
- “There is a purpose behind every problem.”
- “Hiding your hurt only intensifies it. Problems grow in the dark and become bigger and bigger but when exposed to the light of truth, they shrink. You are only as sick as your secrets. So take off your mask, stop pretending you’re perfect and walk into freedom.”
- “Real maturity is never the result of a single experience, no matter how powerful or moving. Growth is gradual.“
- “A delay is not a denial from God.”
- “God doesn’t make junk.”
- “For God to use your painful experiences, you must be willing to share them. You have to stop covering them up and you must honestly admit your faults, failures, and fears. Doing this will probably be your most effective ministry. People are always more encouraged when we share how God’s grace helped us in weakness than we brag about our strengths.”
- “Don’t waste your pain, use it to help others.“
- “God specializes in turning weaknesses into strengths. He wants to take your greatest weakness and transform it.”
- “When you reveal your failures, frustrations, and fears, you risk rejection, but the benefits are worth the risk. Vulnerability is emotionally liberating. Opening up relieves stress, diffuses your fears and is the first step to freedom.”
These are just a few of the words that resonated with me. There are many more, so I definitely recommend reading the book. If you do, let me know what you think!